Saturday, April 7, 2012

Welcome our Newest Additions

I was so excited last night I could hardly sleep.  For over a year now, I have been really wishing for my own fiber rabbits so I could learn to spin and make things with my own yarn.  I also wanted something that would provide meat for the dogs, so these are a perfect fit.  The only question is whether or not they will do alright in the tractors with all that fur.  We will see!

 Logan helping mix the feed.  I use a custom mix of two parts whole oats, two parts rolled barley and one part black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS).  In addition to this, my rabbits get free choice alfalfa, free choice mineral (I am going to experiment with loose minerals this year) and pasture during the summer.

 Rob putting the tarp on to provide shade and protection from the weather.  We used this tractor last year, so it just needed a little touching up to be ready for its new occupants.

 And here they are!  Thanks to my good friend Sue at Daisy Hill Fiber Farm, I have two beautiful pedigreed Satin Angora bucks.  The does will come out of litters due this weekend, so that gives me plenty of time to get to know these two and get them used to being brushed and handled before I have more to care for.

 This is Samuel checking out the ramp.  I have found that it takes rabbits a while to learn that they can jump, so we give them a ramp up and down.  They quit using it after they figure things out, but it's a nice help when they first move in.

 This guy doesn't have a name yet, but it will come to me.  I almost passed him over, and Samuel was without question one I wanted to bring home, but now I think this little chestnut guy is my favorite.  He's not as tame, but he sure is a looker!

 See how pretty he is?  He needs a distinguished name.  We once had a cat named Dapper Dan, and I'm thinking that might work for this guy, too.  He is definitely dapper!

 They seemed to really enjoy checking out their new home.  In a couple of days, they'll be all over the place, but right now they're content to hang out on their platform, which is about 2x4 feet.

 "You go first."  "No, you go first!"  We put a big plastic storage tote where they're standing.  Last year's rabbits loved to have that box to go hide in.  There is a big hole on one end for them to jump in, and we drilled several ventilation holes around the top so it doesn't get too hot.  We keep the lid on so it's a safe hidey hole, but in the heat of summer, we'll take it off again to keep things cooler.

These are from two separate litters, so this is their first time being together.  Didn't take long for them to be completely comfortable with each other.  When I went to check on them tonight, they were snuggled together in the box.

I'm so happy to finally get my fiber rabbits, and I can't wait to go out and spend more time with them tomorrow.  Thanks, Sue!

No comments:

Post a Comment